Festungsruine Fortezza Rohan

Festungsruine Fortezza Rohan

3 Bilder anzeigen

The Fortezza Rohan is the ruin of a hilltop castle, east of Susch in the Lower Engadine. It stands on the hill of Khaschina, above the village at about 1553 m above sea level.


In 1578, a medieval castle complex is mentioned in a document: The countryman of the Steinsberg court testifies that the ancestral castle of Chaschina belongs to the Cazins family in Susch. Possible remnants of it would have been removed by the construction of 1635. Only excavations could provide information about older settlements.

The complex visible today was built in 1635 by Duke Henri II de Rohan during the Thirty Years' War during the Grisons turmoil and the battles for the reconquest of Valtellina to support the Spaniards and Austrians. A bulwark built from 19 to 27 May 1635 by Captain Borel de la Roque-Servière and Jörg Jenatsch may have served as provisional preparatory work for the Fortezza. After the end of hostilities, the fortress was abandoned.

The original wall height of the star-shaped fortress is still preserved in places and varies between 2.5 – 5 meters. The perimeter wall is between 0.5 – 1.5 meters thick. Below the crown of the wall ran a wooden battlement, the horizontal support beams of which are still largely preserved. On the outside of the wall, numerous diagonally upward-facing wooden spikes were intended to make it more difficult to create storm ladders. At the southwest corner is a two-storey round tower with a cellar room, on the platform of which a gun could have stood. The complex was divided by a central wall with a passage into two areas of almost equal size. The main goal was in the southeastern game. A square building, which was still standing in the thirties, was destroyed during the Second World War by modern military installations, which have since been demolished.


Öffentliche Verkehrsmittel

  • With the Rhaetian Railway (from Chur, Prättigau or Upper Engadine) every hour to Susch


  • From the north: via Landquart – Klosters by car transport through the Vereina tunnel (Selfranga - Sagliains) or over the Flüela Pass into the Lower Engadine on H27
  • From the east: via Landeck / Austria in the direction of St. Moritz on H27
  • From the south: via Reschenpass (Nauders-Martina) or Ofenpass (Val Müstair-Zernez) on H27


  • Paid parking available in the village


Verantwortlich für diesen Inhalt Tourism Engadin Scuol Samnaun Val Müstair AG.
Dieser Inhalt wurde automatisiert übersetzt.

Outdooractive Logo

Diese Webseite nutzt Technologie und Inhalte der Outdooractive Plattform.